Question and answer
Ask your question and an Ontario employment lawyer will answer in minutes


Note, your name, city and email is not displayed on the website. It is used to notify you that we have answered your question.

I'm wondering if you can point me in the right direction of how to get some financial help FAST. Bills long over due, broke, hungry, all due to working for the employer from hell!
To put you up to speed in a nutshell, I had lost the best job I ever had. Found another job that seemed pretty cool. Until I later realized I was missclassified as an independent contractor, which at first I had no idea what that even was. Once I found out ALL about it, and realized all the illegal things this employer was doing, I spoke up about it, to which I was then harassed, getting jobs completed, ruined to make look like I did a horrible job, taken advantage of being made to work overtime without pay, even all the way through the night to the next day. Lots of running errands without getting paid mileage, made to put tracking device on my phone and the list goes on! But this is supposed to be a nutshell so I'll shorten this up. When I didn't quit, they finally fired me for calling in sick. I gave more than enough notice, but was told that I had tied his hands. I asked if I was going to get paid severance then. He said sure buddy. I never got severance. I have tried contacting him, but he ignores my calls. He didn't send my w2 for 2018 or 2019 so I still have not done taxes. I was scared because I was told that it would somehow look like I did something wrong. Now learning a lot more from your show, I'm thinking of calling DOL and IRS to let known what this guy is doing to his employees and to get my W2 so I can get my taxes.
However, MAIN question.. Is there any way possible to get help financially from unemployment and stimulus check given the position I am in. Concerning I haven't done 2018 or 2019 taxes yet, and I don't have a w2 from that employer.
Thank you so much for your time.I look forward to hearing from you with any help, advice or direction you can give me.
John Trotter

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Based on your description above, it appears that you are a US resident. Be advised that we are a Canadian Law Firm that is licensed to practice in Canada. The first thing we would need to determine is whether the laws of Canada/its provinces would apply to your situation.

If so, then you very well could be entitled to severance pay as a result of your termination.

I would recommend you give us a call at the number below so that we may obtain some additional information from you and determine whether we are able to assist in your matter.

Thank you
The Lawyers at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP
Direct Tel (Toll Free): 1-855-821-5900     Email:     Web:
Leave a comment