Question and answer
Ask your question and an employment lawyer in Ontario, BC or Alberta will answer in minutes


Note, your name, city and email is not displayed on the website. It is used to notify you that we have answered your question.

I was offered a different role in the company as my current role is being eliminated. When I asked HR what happens if I declined this offered role and if I would be terminated with severance, HR's reply was vague and only repeated that my current role is being eliminated and that if I declined this role, then after I declined then I would get a letter with my options. They would not tell me the options now. The options may impact my decision of accepting or declining the alternative job offer. I contacted an employment lawyer to review my options and their first availability for a consultation is in 1-week, which I did book. What happens & what should I do, if my employer pressures me to decide before I can meet with the employment lawyer or before the employment lawyer can provide me with advice?

Thank you for your question. I would let them know that you cannot commit to any decision prior to reviewing it with legal counsel and that you are not declining any option until you receive advice.
The Lawyers at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP
Direct Tel (Toll Free): 1-855-821-5900     Email:     Web:
Leave a comment