Question and answer
Ask your question and an employment lawyer in Ontario, BC or Alberta will answer in minutes


Note, your name, city and email is not displayed on the website. It is used to notify you that we have answered your question.

Hello... I am off on medical leave and have been for the last 2 years. I am being asked to start a new job with the federal government. I order to do so, I would take my retirement from my present job and start with the federal government.

My questions is.... Can the federal government ask about why I have been off for the last 2 years and can they request my medical records and employment records from my current employer.

Generally speaking, your employer cannot request your medical records or employment records but it would depend on the context and need for those records. They can ask why you have been off for two years and require you to provide a medical note stating that you are fit to work.
The Lawyers at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP
Direct Tel (Toll Free): 1-855-821-5900     Email:     Web:
Leave a comment