Question and answer
Ask your question and an employment lawyer in Ontario, BC or Alberta will answer in minutes


Note, your name, city and email is not displayed on the website. It is used to notify you that we have answered your question.

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me. I am a part time employee teaching French for a small college and they just told me they're going to stop taking taxes out and giving me a T4 and will be issuing me a T4A instead, which I thought was only for freelancers. They are claiming it's a payroll issue because their system doesn't recognize my bank, which is a national bank. I'd like to know if they can do this. It's changing my employment status without my consent, it's not a tax issue. I was hired as and have been getting paid as an employee up until now and they issued me a T4 for 2023.

As a starting point, I would speak with an accountant or financial advisor and consider notifying the CRA. If the Canada Revenue Agency determines this is improper they will take action to ensure that your employer complies with the Income Tax Act.
The Lawyers at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP
Direct Tel (Toll Free): 1-855-821-5900     Email:     Web:
Leave a comment