Question and answer
Ask your question and an Ontario employment lawyer will answer in minutes


Note, your name, city and email is not displayed on the website. It is used to notify you that we have answered your question.

Hi they dock me wages for coming back late from break 30min wages in 2week period but smokers can take smoke breaks is this fair and legal could this be considered a human rights violation or something???

Generally, an employer is not able to deduct your wages unless it is for an overpayment. This again you would be able to file an Employment Standards Claim through the Ministry of Labour if you are provincially regulated. If you require assistance with your Claim, please reach out to our office to assist you.
The Lawyers at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP
Direct Tel (Toll Free): 1-855-821-5900     Email:     Web:
Leave a comment