Question and answer
Ask your question and an Ontario employment lawyer will answer in minutes


Note, your name, city and email is not displayed on the website. It is used to notify you that we have answered your question.

As a recently dismissed employee, a severance was forwarded. Am I able to now seek the CERB and would I then need to place the severance into my RRSP/RDSP ?

Thank you for your question. The government of Canada's website has confirmed the following on its Q & A website (

Does being in receipt of severance impact a person’s eligibility for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit?

A severance payment does not impact an individual’s eligibility for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

Therefore, you can seek CERB. You do not need to forward it into your RRSP/RDSP unless you deem necessary for financial planning reasons.

I would also consider whether your severance package was adequate. Please visit, and if your severance package was not adequate, please give us a call so we can discuss how we can help. In this regard, kindly note that entitlements expire two years from the date of your notice of termination.
The Lawyers at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP
Direct Tel (Toll Free): 1-855-821-5900     Email:     Web:
Leave a comment